Monday, April 13, 2009

Confessions of a Potty Trainer





Potty training Eliza has really not been too bad. I mean, it definitely could be worse (knock on wood because we have only been doing it over 2 weeks). I’m just happy I don’t have 2 kids in size 4 diapers anymore! There are some journal worthy stories that must be documented, and I confess that maybe it was me that needed Potty Training training. This experience has not been without accidents! We went to the park last Tuesday and Eliza had an accident. I knew she would, but she wouldn’t go before we left for anything and in the rush out the door I didn’t bring anything but our picnic lunch. Eliza wouldn’t keep her wet panties and shorts on so I carried her home on my hip while pushing Porter in the stroller. I was a sight to see and it was the longest walk home from the park EVER! I hope someone got a good laugh over it. A nice friend called me after and said, “I’ve been there!” Thanks!!
But the best story so far is definitely our Easter Sunday. We all woke up excited and ate breakfast and got dressed so we could start our “Eggcellent Easter Scripture Hunt”. I let Eliza play outside for a minute while I curled my hair and she came running in saying “potty toilet”. I put her on the toilet only to find that the deed had already been done and there was “stuff” all over her and her dress. “That’s fine, it happens” I told myself and Daniel and I cleaned up the mess and put her in a bath and Daniel fixed the clogged up toilet while I threw her dress in the wash, I was determined she wear her new Easter dress on Easter! Finally, her dress was washed and dried so we started our hunt. All was well, she was finding the eggs and eating the candy. Then again the cry came “potty toilet”, this time the mess was a little more watered down, if you know what I mean, and yes, it was all over her dress. I looked at my watch and I still had enough time to wash and dry it again before church, so we did. She finished the egg hunt in a pull-up and she had it on for the rest of the day and did not have another accident! Eliza had a really hard time at church too, I don’t know why she hates it, even Nursery now. Any suggestions would be wonderful! But it may go down in our family history as the “worst Easters I ever had” :) (I hope there are some Nacho Libre fans out there).

This dress had been washed and dried twice before this picture!

14 comments:

Aunt Tiff said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I have potty trained 4, yep I said four, in the past 6 months and it has about done me in!! I have no advice...each kid is SOOOO different. My biggest question to you is...what time do you exactly get ready for church if you had time to wash and dry a dress TWICE!!!!???? You amaze me!

Corie said...

Hilarious! And I laughed when I saw the picture of her on the potty with her panties on her head! She seems like quite the character. :)

Reba said...

you washed her dress twice before church? I'd have taken Moira in pajamas. (ok, probably not, but I'd be tempted) Hope the rest of her training goes well. :)

AOlson said...

At least Liza is attempting to use the toilet. Kelsie cries every time I try and put her in panties and if she has a pull-up or diaper on she will just go in them. I try and take her to the bathroom but she just cries and cries.

CK Black Family said...

I'm giggling at the thought of those cheeks flapping in the wind!! Gotta love potty training - NOT! Benjamin now insists on going outside with Macee (the dog). Heaven help us mothers! You're great!

Luke and Megz said...

bless your heart! after having 2 similar experiences with Izzy I do not envy you one bit! i can't believe you had time to wash and dry her dress twice though! You're incredimom. Porters hair is so cute, I can't believe how light it looks in the pictures! also i couldn't believe in those pictures below that he's standing up!! they're both growing up so fast!

Eliza said...

I saw that you posted a comment on Rachel and Dan's blog and was so excited to check your blog out. Your kids are sooo cute!

We're about done potty-training our oldest. Our potty stories involve a little boy who thinks it's funny to try and "pee on the moon" he says as he shoots his boy part straight up in the air. ...oh the joys!

Your Easter family picture looks great. I love the blossoms in the background.

Lovely Lindsay said...

we are on week two of potty training, too. like you said - it really hasn't been as bad as i thought. so far so good. way to go eliza!!!!
love, lindsay

Nathan and Bonnie said...

Ha! I hear you! I was sooooo excited for Tanner and Preston's matching outfits. I figured we would take pics at Nathan's parents' that night before dinner. Just before we left, Tanner wet his pants, so it was off with the shorts! Hence, we didn't get an Easter shot of them in their matching outfits!

Sarah said...

Super cute pictures and yes we've all been there and it's part of life!...unfortunately! You are ahead of me though. Micah was almost 3 before he was potty trained because he was afraid of the toilet for a very long time! Hang in there! It doesn't last forever even if some days it feels like it will! I swear I changed Hailey's diaper ever 5 minutes yesterday! She's not quite 15 months...I think we have a long way to go! Love Eliza's dress!

John and Rachael Alexander said...

Yep, definently been there with the potty training! All I can say is just don't let yourself get too frustrated and keep at it! Cute family picture with the blossoms for spring and easter!

Friesslings said...

you are so awesome! If you need some advice for potty training, I potty trained my kids in 3 days! Actually Myah was a day and a half! Serious. It took ALL of me but it worked. Call me if you want help

Amy said...

What an adorable family picture!!! Good thing her dress is so washable! ahhh, potty training...

Clegg Family said...

You are one patient and wonderful mom, Brook! That story is hilarious and I'm so glad Eliza was able to wear her Easter dress...she looks adorable.

And I definitely appreciated the Nacho Libre comment at the end! :)